Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chapter 10 - KFC

“Guilty, your honor,” Alexis Grace spoke on behalf of her and the Disaster Berries.

Jolene stared at Urgency, her gaze unwavering.

“Are you sure?” Urgency asked.

“Yes, your honor,” Alexis Grace whispered into the microphone.

There was a pause. The entire courtroom echoed the silence.

“Alright then,” Urgency said, sounding slightly disappointed. “I hereby sentence you all to 20 years in prison for your deeds last night. I'm sorry it came to this. Case cleared”

The hammer struck.

Jolene hung her head in defeat.

Logan, Lukas, and Shanaynay traveled to city hall for their final visit with Alexis Grace the next day. They were in a private room in the back.

“Lukas and Shanaynay,” she said. “You're both the leaders of the family now. Here's enough money for an apartment.”

She handed them a meager clip of money. Logan eyed it unimpressed.

“Logan... good luck with graduating the Academy.”

“Thanks...”

Alexis Grace stared at them. Then she did something that never happened before, and broke down in tears.

Shanaynay screamed in surprise.

“I never would of thunk,” she said to herself.

“Sorry, sorry,” Alexis Grace quickly apologized, furiously rubbing the tears from her eyes.

Logan, Lukas, and Shanaynay hugged her tightly, for a long time.

It was the first time they ever hugged.

“Well, this is it, then,” Alexis Grace said, pushing them away. “Oh yeah! One more thing...”

Jolene's daughter KFC walked up to them outside of city hall.

“Hi. My name's KFC. I'm Jolene's daughter. Since my mother was arrested, I live with you now,” she said.

And that was the last thing KFC said for the entire summer. After they moved into the apartment, she built a nest out of twigs, curled up, and went to sleep.

Sometimes, she wouldn't be there. The Grace children would try to find her, but to no avail. Days later she would reappear, with a new shiny object in her hands.

“Boqay, WEIRD,” Levi said.

KFC randomly joined them halfway through dinner one day.

“I brought corn husks,” she said.

“KFC, is everything boqay? You seem sort of... nonsensical at times,” Shanaynay said.

“Oh. You must be referring to the times where I rob museums for the ancient goods,” Tracy said.

The table fell silent. Shanaynay softly gasped to herself.

“Yeah, I rob a few from time to time. I inherit it from my mother. I hate her. She was mean to me. The only thing she ever taught me to do was steal things. Can someone pass the basketti?” KFC asked.

The problem was, they were eating tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment